Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me & Happy Thanksgiving To All!

Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll!

Yes, today is the day when people all over Canada make way too much food, eat about 10% of it, and then wonder to do with the gigantic amount of leftovers.  All while falling asleep before being able to clean up the humongous mess.  Good ole' turkey day! 

Jeff and I have a nice Thanksgiving dinner at home, just the two of us and Dixie and Sampras.  I cooked the dinner.  I made mashed sweet potatoes, stuffing (I cheated though, I bought the boxed stuffing hee hee), carrots, gravy (also store bought, but at least it was Club House brand), and a 10 pound turkey.  Everything turned out delicious.  We roasted the turkey following some directions we found on the Food Network website.  First, yesterday we took the frozen turkey and soaked it in a brine made of salt, brown sugar, and water.  This is supposed to do something to the proteins in the meat and make the bird super moist.  It also helps with browning the skin.  So it soaked in there for 7 hours.  Then we dried it off and put it in the fridge over night.  Today, we first cooked it for 1 hour at 400*F, then 2 hours at 250*F, then back up to 400*F for the last hour, basting only in the last half hour.  It turned out so moist and so tender!  We printed the directions so we can use it again next year.  We even gave Dixie and Sampras there own little thanksgiving dinner in their bowls.  Dixie finished hers in like 10 seconds, but Sampras still isn't sure what to think of it.  He keeps going up to his dish every 15 minutes and taking small bites and then running off with it.  He's weird.  I also bought a Sara Lee apple pie, the BEST apple pie ever, but we were too full to cook it.  I'll probably make it tomorrow, when I take all the leftover turkey (SO MUCH!) and make turkey soup.  All in all, a great Thanksgiving dinner!

Yesterday was my 22nd birthday.  Jeff took me out to Red Lobster for dinner.  I had wood-fire grilled lobster tail, shrimp, and scallops on rice.  It was so good!  Red Lobster is my favourite restaurant, but that is because seafood is my favourite food.  Jeff doesn't really like it that much.  The only thing he likes is crab, so he had crab legs and steak.  Mmmm, I want Red Lobster right now!  Too bad it's so damn expensive.  Our meal came to $86, and that is with a $10 tip.  It's a once a year thing only.  Jeff got me some makeup and new makeup brushes as I stated in a previous post.  My dad told me on the phone yesterday that he sent me the Ferris Bueller's Day Off collector's edition DVD in the mail for a birthday present.  It should be here on Tuesday and I am so excited!  That is one of my all time favourite movies!  "Bueller... Bueller..." ha ha ha!

Okay so Jeff just looked at over at me and said "Are you blogging?"  I said yes and he said "Are you hate blogging me?"  Then he pretended to type and say "My boyfriend is such a dick..."  So I told him I'm putting that in here lol.  Now he is shaking his head.  Okay he's back to watching Gladiator now.  I don't know what it is about this stupid movie, everyone seems to like it.  Well I hate it!  Down with Gladiator!  Up with Ferris Bueller's Day Off!

And with that note, I'm done.

-Ashley

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Let Go Laughing! © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner